Human body is like complex machinery. It has many systems which make it work as a whole. Each system is complex yet efficient, performing the functions of the body that are essential for our life. These systems, like all the machines, need fuel to operate significantly. This fuel is provided by the food that we eat and if we do not supply our body this fuel then it will cease to function. Now the big question is what is the right fuel for this complex machine a.k.a human body? What are the right foods to feed it to make it work in a proper and healthy manner? The answer is simple- a balanced diet.
Many people think that a balanced diet is the diet which does not contain fatty foods which is totally wrong. In fact fat is an essential component of the balanced diet. Though it is true that you need to watch which fat to eat and which not to ensure a good health. There are two kinds of fat that we come across. Good fat- HDL And bad fat LDL. Consumption of good fat is healthy and essential nutritional requirement of the body whereas bad fat is a great reason for many heart diseases and unhealthy conditions. While dieting many people avoid taking fats and even good fats which are necessary for body. Here are a few ways to ensure that your body gets the right amount of good fat even when you are dieting or not:
- Like I said earlier that our body needs good fat to keep working. This good fat is basically Omega 3 fatty acids also known as poly unsaturated fats. Consumption of these fatty acids has numerous health benefits as well as to ensure proper functioning of body you need to take them in your diet.
- Many foods are the natural source for fats. There are fats that our body can manufacture itself like cholesterol and there are fats that cannot be made by our body. The latter have to be taken in the diet because they are essential for body.
- The best way to make sure you get the essential and good fats in your diet is to know what food actually contains them. For that you need to consult your dietician so he can guide you well about which foods can compensate for the fats that your body needs.
- If you are on a diet and avoiding heavy foods then a good source of essential fats for your body is nuts and seeds. You can eat as much as you like. They taste good, they are not too heavy to eat and all the same time provides you with the good fat that your body needs.
- Cow and goat meat may be a little too much fat for your body but a great source of protein. Now if you cut down on them you need a good substitute for that as well and a perfect substitute for that is sea food especially salmon.
- As much as you need to avoid deep fried foods to cut down your intake of bad fat, you also cannot avoid oils forever. But what you can do is switch the bad oils with healthy ones that actually provide you with good fat like olive oil, canola oil and sunflower oil.
- If you cannot get your hands on food that contain essential fatty acids that are good for you or if you are confused on what to eat and what not then you can also opt for the supplement capsules which contain the fats that your body requires like cod liver oil and flax seed oil.
- There are many veggies that contain polyunsaturated fats and omega 3. You can eat these veggies as a part of your diet. These veggies are also used to make oils. These veggies include beans specially soya bean.
- If you are not a fond of veggies and oils, and i can understand that, then you can always go to the best example of an all in one balanced diet, that is, an egg. Eggs are not only a great source of all the proteins essential for body but also a good source of cholesterol and fats that are good for our body’s working.
- It is true that you do need fats for many functions that your body performs but the best thing is not to overdo it. Maintain a total fat intake of 20-35 %of your diet. That is the amount of calories a person should take from fats according to the USDA.