A dark patch on your skin indicates that the area has been exposed to the ultraviolet radiation from the sun or from any artificial source. This tan tint is due to the damage of the skin’s surface layer and could lead to serious consequences if further exposed to the sunlight. This exposure accelerates the aging of the skin with an increased risk of skin cancer. Your face neck and exposed body parts catch more tan lines than others.
Causes of Tan lines:
When the ultraviolet radiations damage the skin cells then to defense the affect the melanin pigment increases and their oxidation process also augmented giving a tan effect to the target area.
- People with fair complexions have a more tanning tendency than dark complexions
- A child younger than 6 years and older than 60 years are more prone to sun damage
- 10 am to 4 pm is the time when sun rays are brightest to cause tan lines
- Reflecting surfaces like white concrete, water or snow cause more than lines
- The season of the years, altitudes, and distance from equators and the UV index of the day can demonstrate how much tan line you can get.
Prevention from Tan lines:
- It is better to avoid direct exposure of sunlight as much as possible. Wear sunglasses and P caps to prevent from the scorching sun.
- The best way to protect from the sun rays is to apply a reliable sunscreen on your face and other body areas which could be damaged from the tan
- If you want to get rid of sunspots on the face apply the sunscreen thirty minutes before going into the sun.
- Check their application timings as usually the sunscreen is reapplied after every 2 hours
- If the body sweat too much then instant re-application of sunscreen become vital
- A sunscreen with Zinc oxide is the best to protect you from the scorch as Zinc oxide is a total sun blocker as it prevents from Ultraviolet A, B and C rays effectively
- The SPF number has nothing to do with the application as it only reflects how much and what type of irradiations are filtered through that specific sunscreen
Symptoms of Tan lines
The skin becomes darker in the area which is exposed to the sun. Initially, a red tint with a burning sensation occur meaning that the upper layer is damaged but if the redness and pain persist then it shows second or third-degree sunburn a needs immediate treatment to get rid of the tan lines.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Tan Lines
There are several home remedies to get rid of the tan lines, but a systematic procedure is applied to mask off the line in sequence.The following series describe the step by step removal of tan lines via natural ingredients in your home.
1. Regular Exfoliation or Scrubbing to get rid of tan lines
It is necessary to exfoliate the skin with scrubbing, the reason is that tan lines have burnt the skin cells and the cells become dead. The scrubbing procedure removes the dead cell from the surface of the skin allowing new cells to take their space. If you don’t exfoliate then dead cells will remain accumulated on the skin giving it a dark and uneven appearance. This accumulation plugged the pores with dirt and debris and the skin became dirty and tanned.
Regular exfoliation will remove the layer of dead cells and fresh cells take their place, moreover exfoliation enhances the skin’s blood flow providing nutrients and freshness to your skin and thus defeating the tan lines. This is why the exfoliation and scrubbing are the basic steps in getting rid of the tan lines efficiently. The exfoliators that contain fruit acids or fruit enzymes like lemon, milk, papaya and mud are the best exfoliating agents to remove tan lines. These ingredients dissolve the dead cells without a harsh rub and make room for fresh cells.
2. Significance of Sunscreen application to get rid of tan lines
You know that the existing tan lines are due to sun exposure, but you must be aware that repeated ultraviolet radiation can worsen the situation and will make you tanner.The previous sun exposure has damaged your skin cell making the tone dull and blemished
Keep in mind that these rays can still reach you through the glass and other surfaces as they are present the whole year, therefore, it become vital to apply sunscreen whenever you feel a danger of sun exposure. An SPF 30 sunscreen can protect you from both UVA and UVB perils and indirectly aids in getting rid of the tan lines
3. Apply skin Lightening Agents to get rid of tan lines
If you are buying a commercial product to get rid of the tan lines then it is better to buy a serum then the other preparations as serum penetrates well in the skin and rejuvenates it via its active ingredients. It is better to use them at night so the ingredients took longer to absorb and affect your skin. Use them at night, so your skin can renew and repair itself while you sleep. Natural ingredients like licorice, ellagic acid, soy, and bearberry inhibits tyrosinase – the enzyme that is responsible for the pigmentation of the skin. It is better to follow a skin lightening cream or home ingredient like tomato or lemon after the serum application. Cucumber, glycerin, algae and salicylic lightens the tone by their hydrating properties.
4. Nourish your skin with Botanicals to get rid of tan lines
Another culprit which gets friendly with tanning damages is dry skin, as when your skin lacks moisture it is more burnt and gets darkened via sun rays. There are plenty of natural ingredients that help to moisturize the dry skin and give assistance to get rid of the tan lines.
These ingredients include different oils like almond oil, coconut oil, buttermilk or cocoa milk. These ingredients not only moisturize the skin but also provides nutrient to the skin for healthy and glossy texture. The overnight applicators to inject moisture in your skin are Aloe Vera, pomegranate, green tea, or grape seed extract, to soften the sleepy skin.
5. Supply Oxygen for Skin Respiration to get rid of tan lines
An optimum oxygen supply is essential for the skin to breathe and retain its elasticity. Essential oils like lavender, Calendula, rosemary or chamomile contain sufficient vitamin A and E and these ingredients help n cellular respiration to provide oxygen to the skin, as well as ingredients like Hyaluronic acid, and sunflower wax all increase cellular oxygenation.
6. Fighting the Tan Lines via Good Diet to get rid of tan lines
To get rid of the tan lines, a good diet is mandatory. The following ingredients will help you to remove thetans through healthy foods and their effects on the skin.
- Sweet potato, spinach, and carrot are rich in vitamin A to prevent the dryness of skin
- Vitamin C resources like peppers, kiwi, oranges and strawberries increase collagen and lighten the tanning.
- Almonds, sunflower seeds or Avocado provides enough vitamin E for skin rehydration which is lost due to sun tan. They also reduce inflammation and accelerates the healing from the sunburns
- Fish like Sardines, salmon, and mackerel, walnuts and olive oil are omega fatty acid rich compounds essential for skin rejuvenation and help to get rid of tan lines
- ‘Juicy’ fruits and vegetables like watermelon and cucumber are 80 to 90 percent water so they hydrate the skin gradually and naturally as well as delivering nutrients.
- Yogurt contains amazing Probiotics for eliminating toxins from your body and enhancing the glow of your skin
7. Drinking Plenty of Water to get rid of tan lines
Drinking more and more glasses of water removes toxins from your skin, some vegetables, and fruit are rich in juices and water content like cucumber and tomato which help to get rid of the tan lines
Five Amazing DIY Home Remedies to Remove Tan- Lines
8. DIY Home –Made Sunscreen to get rid of tan lines
- Coconut oil: Five tablespoon
- Shea butter: Five tablespoon
- Jojoba oil: Three tablespoon
- Extra virgin Olive oil: Two table spoon
- Zinc oxide Powder: Two table spoon
- Bees Wax: 1 teaspoon
- White Coco powder: I tablespoon
Heat water in a pan and keep a bath over it, so the steam should reach the bath. Melt coconut oil and Shea butter in the bath and add the oils one by one. Add zinc powder and cocoa powder and stir the mixture. Add beeswax if you need a water resistant sunscreen. Make a fine paste of lotion consistency and store in a container. Rub the sunscreen thirty minutes before going out in the sun. For long storage, you can add citric acid or vitamin E tablet in the recipe. Remember beeswax can settle your sunscreen as solid bars. You can store the bars in cellophane paper inside your refrigerator.
9. An Exclusive Indian Marigold Mask to to get rid of tan lines
- Marigold flower petals: one cup
- Carrot: three tablespoons of grated and crushed pulp
- Oatmeal: Two tablespoons
- Yogurt: Two tablespoons
- Almond oil: one tablespoon
- Coca buttercream: Two tablespoons
- Aloe Vera Gel: Two teaspoons
- Lemon juice: two teaspoons
- Milk powder: Two tablespoons
Take a clean bowl and add all the ingredients one after another. When all the ingredients are added put these ingredients in a blender and mix well.You don’t need a very thick consistency of the blend, if it became thicker then you can add some more yogurt, almond oil, and cocoa buttercream to soften the mixture. A fine paste is formed. Apply this paste to your face and leave for thirty minutes to dry. Once dried wash with Luke warm water. If you have extra paste left you can apply it on other body parts to get rid of tan lines which became tan by the sun. Apply this paste once or twice weekly depending on the intensity of tan lines.
This is a very effective remedy to get rid of the tan line because the marigold flower and carrot possess antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties to fight against the inflammation caused by the sun tan, Oatmeal act as a profound exfoliator to remove dead cells from the skin surface, while aloe Vera gel, milk, and yogurt are skin rejuvenating agent .Yogurt contains probiotics from good bacteria to give nutrition to your skin while almond oil and cocoa butter are the well-known moisturizing and hydrating agents. Lemon juice is added for its skin bleaching effect. Thus, this face pack is a multi-functional .all in one home remedy to get rid of the tan lines.
10. The DIY exfoliating tomato juice remedy to get rid of tan lines
- Wheat flour: 4 tablespoon
- Rice floor: one tablespoon
- Tomato: juice from 1 big tomato
- Chilled milk: As sufficient to make a thick paste
- Take a clean bowl and add four tablespoons of wheat flour in the bowl
- Add one tablespoon of rice flour
- Squeeze the big tomato in the bowl to take to the juice, remember you don’t need the pulp here, and only drop juice in the bowl
- Start pouring the milk while beating the mixture to a fine paste
- When the thickly consisted paste is achieved stop pouring the milk.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply some paste to your palm
- Run the palm against each other first and then apply the paste to your body where the tan lines appear
- You can rub this exfoliator to your legs, feet, arms, and hands. Don’t forget the knees and elbows.
- Apply the paste on your face and rub gently to exfoliate the dead cells
- Leave the paste for 15 minutes on the body and wash with normal water to get rid of tan lines effectively
The two types of flour act as an exfoliating agent while milk is the skin softener; however the tomato juice is a perfect treatment for culprit sunburn marks. For the facial treatment, it is good to sprinkle some rose water on the face as it will close the pores that were open during the exfoliating process.
11. The DIY Three Step Home Facial to get rid of tan lines
FIRST FACIAL SCRUB
- Table Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda: half teaspoon
- Honey: 1 teaspoon
Take a clean bowl and add these ingredients one by one. Mix the ingredients thoroughly to a fine paste. Wash your face with like warm water, take some paste on your fingers and rub it on the facial skin gently to exfoliate the dead cells. Rub the paste for at least five minutes and then wash your face with cold water. The three ingredients are good anti-inflammatory agents to relieve the sunburn troubles and to get rid of tan lines. They also mask off the dead cells from the surface of the skin. Salt is also a good agent to remove impurities from the surface of the skin.
SECOND FACIAL MASSAGE:
- Papaya paste: Two table spoon
- Lemon slice: half
- Aloe Vera gel: 1 teaspoon
Take a two tablespoon of papaya paste and add lemon juice to it. If you have a dry skin you can use aloe Vera gel instead of lemon juice. Mix the ingredients well and massage these ingredients on your face gently for five to ten minutes. Wash your face with cold water. Papaya contains amazing enzymes, anti -oxidants and vitamin C which combats against ultraviolet rays and sunburns. Papaya softens the skin and reduces fine lines and wrinkles with lightening the skin color effectively.
THIRD FACE MASK:
- Yogurt: two tablespoon
- Corn floor: two tablespoon
- Cucumber juice: two tablespoon
Mix the ingredients in a clean bowl to a fine paste and apply this paste with the help of a make p brush on your face as a mask. Wait for about thirty to forty-five minutes, then wash with normal water. The three ingredients in your face pack are known for their skin rejuvenation and skin lightening effect.
12. The DIY Facial Mask to Get Rid of Tan Lines
- Almond: 15-17
- Oatmeal: 2 tablespoon
- Yogurt: 2 tablespoon
- Milk: 3 tablespoon
Ground almonds in a grinder or in a mortar with pastel to a fine powder.You can ground the oatmeal particles if they are slightly bigger in size. Mix the ingredients in a clean bowl and add two tablespoons of yogurt. Mix well, and then add three tablespoon milk and mix to a paste. Apply this paste with a makeup brush to your face and wait for about thirty to forty-five minutes. Once the paste is dried on your face wash with normal water. This procedure should be repeated twice weekly for about one to two month depending on the intensity of sunburn.
Tan lines are dark patches on the skin which are formed due to high exposure of sunlight that is ultraviolet radiations. The intense exposure might produce skin cancer, therefore, it is better to apply sunscreen before going outside. Once you are marked with tan lines, then it is necessary to get rid of the tan lines as they are the shades of embarrassment and do not look presentable. There are several home remedies and organic ingredients which help to get rid of tan lines effectively.