It has been found by research that junk snacks stimulate the same areas in your brain as drugs do. There is nothing to deny about the fact that aging causes loss of focus and memory retention. While you might have heard of countless foodstuffs that are supposed to make your brain more powerful, there are a few that have scientifically been proved to do so. These foods not only protect our brain, but also enhance its capability and aid the generation of new cells. All cells need nutrients in order to function with all their might. More neurons and stronger connections within your brain mean that you are on the pathway to a stronger mind and better memory. Below are some categories of food you should eat in order to keep your brain healthy.
[ Read Also: 8 Best Foods to Fight Aging ]
image credit: flickr
- Healthy fats build your brain. A large majority of brain cells consist primarily of healthy fats, including Onege-3 fatty acids. As the brain begins to develop and repair itself along the way, it requires ample amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids. There are numerous food sources that have the ability to fill up your brain with Omega-3 fatty acids. Some of these foods include salmon, canola oil, flaxseed oil, albacore tuna, wheatgerm, walnuts, and eggs.
- Antioxidants protect your brain. Along with age, free radicals and ions in the bloodstream begin to damage brain cells. You will lose your memory power right after your prime age if you do not take necessary steps to combat those free radicals. In order to do so, nature has assisted mankind with various antioxidants that combine with free radicals to make them harmless. Several natural foods that contain antioxidants are blueberries, carrots, broccoli, spinach, garlic, red grapes, tomatoes, soy, tea, and whole grains.
- High tyrosine proteins spark your brain. Apart from neurons, brain also accommodates neurotransmitters that carry messages and signals from one neuron to the next. Even if your brain structure is perfect, it still may not function correctly until your neurotransmitters are sufficient. Some parts of a neurotransmitter, like tryptophan and tyrosine require healthy foods for their production. Dairy products, eggs, soy, seafood are the best sources to enhance your energy, concentration, and alertness.
- Water hydrates your brain. Most of us are quite well aware of the fact that our body is composed mostly of water. In addition, we also know how easy it is to get dehydrated. This dehydration can definitely be covered up by intake of large volumes of water, but even the slightest cases of dehydration can impair your mental capacity and retention power. Thus, your memory becomes weaker with the passage of time. It is highly recommended that you drink at least six to eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily.
- Vitamins & Minerals are the building blocks of your brain. Some vitamins are essential to build up your brain. Therefore, you would not want to deprive your body of vitamins and minerals. Some of the most important vitamins and minerals for the brain are Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, iron, and calcium. Deficiencies in these compounds lead to learning impairments. If you have a very weak dietary schedule, you can try multivitamins as they contain all fundamental micro nutrients.
- Fiber regulates your fuel supply. Apart from its importance for the digestive system, it is just as important from the brain as well. The main function of fiber in brain is to slow down sugar absorption by the brain. There is no doubt in the fact that the human brain works solely on sugar, but it has to be ensured that the sugar is transported at a steady pace rather than varying rates. This way, your brain is neither over-loaded nor under-loaded. Edibles that contain ample quantities if fiber include dried fruits (apricots, raisins, prunes, dates), vegetables (spinach, broccoli, green peas), peas and beans (black-eyed peas, kidney beans, Lima beans), nuts and seeds (flax seed, almonds), whole fruits (kiwi, oranges, pears, skin-on apples, avocados), and whole wheat grains (barley, brown rice).
[ Read Also: 8 Cancer Causing Foods Mostly are Unhealthy ]
Once you develop these dietary habits, you won’t ever forget why you walked into a room, or where you placed your car keys!