Summer has approached and is knocking at our door now. We all love this season; it is the perfect time of the year to grab our swim suits and hit the beach. But the heat gets bearable at times. In that situation, people do all they could in their power to save themselves cool against the wrath of the scorching heat.
One such way to cool your system down during the heated up season is by going green. Incorporating fruits and vegetables largely in your diet really keeps you from being roasted in the sun. It is advised to always have fruits and vegetables stocked up at your place.
We all are aware that fruits and vegetables are not all that easy store. They are perishable and rot away in just a matter of days. However, if one freezes them properly, their life span could be increased dramatically. Given below are some amazing ways which you can apply to freeze fruits and vegetables.
- First of all, choosing the right sort of container or material to store your food in is essential. Storing fruits and vegetables in freezer bags, or plastic jars and containers – sometimes glass too – is highly practiced throughout the globe. Other than that, you can also thoroughly wrap your fruits and vegetables in freezer tape or heavy-duty foil. This will sustain them for a longer time period of more than 6-12 months.
- It is advisable to blanch your fruits and vegetables before dumping them in your freezer. Blanching is a term used to describe the process of briefly cooking fruits and vegetables in boiling water. An easy task it is. Simply boil about a gallon of water and add in it the prepared vegetables. Cook for a while and then freeze them.
- In order to make this storing of fruits and vegetables in the freezer, one should be aware that which fruits are better frozen as whole, and which should be cut down. In the former category fall fruits like blackberries, cranberries, currants, etc. the latter category comprises of fruits, such as bananas, tomatoes and corn
- When fruits and vegetables come in contact with the air, that’s what causes the off flavoring to develop. To prevent this occurrence, seal the bags containing these fruits and vegetables using Vacuum sealer before putting them in the freezer. It sucks out any air present in the bag and helps in the preserving of flavor.
- Just like it is done in canning, you can treat your fruits with citric acid or lemon juice. It will help in killing any present microorganisms, also prevent their discoloration.
- Wet pack freezing is also on the list of options. You can freeze your beloved fruits in sugar syrup, the way it is done in canning. However, in this case, raw fruits should be stores in the syrup – no cooking involved.
- If you are storing stuff in a container, be sure to leave some headspace in them. When the liquid freezes, it expands, and if will not have any headspace available to expand into, it will come right out of the container.
- If you don’t have that much time and want to get done with this freezing process as soon as possible then place the fruits and vegetables in a single thin layer at the dish. This will help in them being frozen quite quickly.
- Lastly, I would suggest your label your frozen produce for convenience in the future. You can put some freezer tape on the containers and bags, and write on them with thick, black market that which container holds what.