Goose bumps are also referred as goose flesh, goose pimples, are the bumps on a skin of person at the base of body’s hairs. The goose bumps can develop due to many reasons such as a person experiencing cold or strong emotions. Fear, nostalgia, pleasure, euphoria, awe, admiration and sexual arousal are the emotions which may cause goose bumps.
Extreme temperature: One of the major causes for having goose bumps is extreme temperature. A person can experience goose bumps in the presence of extreme cold temperatures. Tiny muscles attached to each hair follicle contracts because of the stimulus of cold surroundings. The hair strands literally stand on the end due to this contraction of muscles. The contracted tiny muscles cause bunching of the skin around hairs, which results in bumps in the goose bumps.
The goose bumps are helpful to reduce the heat loss from the body and it is a way of preserving body’s heat by causing the hairs on the skin to stand up. Goose bumps are also seems to be associated with the act of shivering in these instances.
Intense Emotions: The people who are frightened or in awe, seem to have the feeling of their hairs standing on the end. The fight or flight response of body is employed in extremely stressful situations. Whether the body prepares to run or fight, hormone speeds up the heart rate and metabolism. The body temperature also speeds up due to presence of extreme stress. This causes the muscles attached to the base of each hair follicle to contract and raises the hair up.
Here the more specific reasons for having goose bumps more often:
- Listening to awe inspiring music also causes goose bumps. The music increases heart rate and metabolism causing the bumps to arise.
- Sound of nail scratch on chalkboard is another cause of having goose bumps. A threatening situation can cause goose bumps. Many animals when faced with threatening situation get goose bumps. The hairy and furry animals when having goose bumps appear to be bigger.
- Emotional moments bring with them the goose bumps. An emotional moment such as a bride walking down an aisle during a wedding brings goose bumps not only for bride but for the audience.
- Sudden shock can also cause bumps to arise on skin. Sensing danger or to have a feeling of any wrong may also result in goose bumps. Even while watching a horror movie one experiences goose bumps.
- Quite often, a person can have goose bumps when after a significant event, he relives the moments having special place in his heart. Every time he revives those moments in his imagination, the bumps arose on his skin.
- A chilly weather! When you take a warm cozy bath and you have to get out of the tub and experience the cold outside. It causes goose bumps like always!
- Imagination can do the work! Having any such imagination which could bring a feeling of fear, stress, excitement or any such emotion can cause goose bumps.
- The goose bumps may result as a reaction to spiritual or intellectual epiphany.